Only a few steps from the embarkation gangway
on Rothesay Pier, Isle of Bute, lies the most impressive surviving
late Victorian public convenience in Scotland, if not Britain.
Commissioned by Rothesay Harbour Trust in 1899 during Rothesay's
hey-day as a holiday resort, the gents lavatory, a most unusual
survivor of the Victorian era, was always intended to impress.
The interior is magnificient with walls entirely clad in decorative
ceramic tiles, ornately patterned in rows. The floors are designed
with ceramic mosaic, with the crest of the Royal Burgh of Rothesay
at the entance.
Open 7 days a week, the Victorian
Toilets are fully functional Public Lavatories. As part of the £300,000
restoration project in the 1990's there are modern ladies toilets
with mother and child facilities, disabled toilets with father and
child facilities and ladies & gents showers.
The complex is run on behalf of Argyll & Bute Council by Bute
Victoriana Ltd., a Community Business with charitable status formed
under the auspices of Bute Enterprises Ltd. Nowadays they are not
only an important public facility but are a major element among the
facilities at the harbour attracting yachts people and other leisure
sailors to Rothesay.
urinals stand like sentinels along two walls, another six surround
a central stand - each a white enamel alcove topped with the legend
"Twyfords Ltd. Cliffe Vale Potteries, Hanley" and crowned
with imitation dark green St Anne marble.
Three glass sided cisterns feed water to the the urinals through shining
copper pipes. Nine WC cubicles with plain panelled doors complete
layout. Apart from the cisterns in the cubicles all the original fitments
remain as supplied in 1899 by Twyfords Ltd. Glasgow for £530.